Tuesday 2 November 2010

#306 of 365 Voltron Haggar

Howdy, ya'll.  It's Nostalgia November here on Toy a Day and by that it means I'm opening toys from the 80s and 90s.  Today I'm opening Haggar the witch, a leftover from Monster October.  Now Haggar was one of the antagonist that showed up in the Voltron series quite a bit.  She even fought the Voltron lions at least once in the cartoon too.


The packaging reminds me of the Robotech packaging by Matchbox (e.g. Rand), but this line is by Panosh Place.  The card has the logo on top, the figure in a clear plastic bubble and the title of the toy printed below in English and (I'm guessing) French.  The back of the card has her bio, a voltron picture, some text and a lot of blank space.  The proof of purchase (aka barcode) is nowhere to be seen.


There's a lot of original art on the card.  Well, original by today's standard.  There's a full body portrait of the character on the front of the card next to the bubble, and another one on the back that forms the picture of her bio.  Both of them depict here as being slim, and she has a blue cat with her.


And her toy indeed has a blue cat.  She comes iwth a yellow staff and a coffin shield that bears her name.  Now she can't hold the shield at all.  The main figure is moulded from the prune colour plastic and is painted blue for the cat and teal for Haggar herself.  The only level of detail in the sculpt is on the face and on the cat, both of which are done reasonbly well.  The figure only has one point of articulation - the right shoulder is articulated, but otherwise, this entire toy is a single piece.


The figure looks short and stumpy, a far cry from how she's depicted in the cartoon, or even on the card art.  Add that to the almost complete lack of articulation, and the fact that she's a second-string female villianness and she's almost doomed at retail, which is why I picked her up cheap.  She doesn't even look like a witch, instead she looks more like a druid, which I suppose were the forerunner of witches (please don't give me grief for that statement, that's what I think but I could be wrong) but ... well, I can't think of anything.  Get this figure if you're into collecting witches (like Lemonjuice?), but otherwise, spend your money on the Voltron lions instead - Mattel will be making them, maybe next year...

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, the second language is French indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Definitely french.

    Anyway, holy cow! I have this figure and never knew who she was...or that she was a she! lol I got her from a friend a LONG time ago with an airplane that opens up and has eyes and teeth.

    You read right. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the confirmation that it's French. For all I know, it could be Walloon or Corsican.

    A plane with teeth sounds familiar. I would ask you to show pictures but I know that is a hopeless request

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will post pictures, there's just a lot of work to do. If you saw the house you would gasp and run away. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I saw your toys, I will gasp and wish I could run away with them! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...