Friday 25 February 2011

#420 of Year 2 Lord of the Rings Treebeard

Well, I guess I should title this Trilogy Week since I'll be opening LotR and Spiderman3 figures for the rest of the month.  It's still Figures February and this is the last week of action figures.  Next month is Mecha March and there probably won't be any figures, so these last four toys will hopefully tide action figure fans of Toy a Day until Mecha March is over.


The package is nice and long and is barely big enough to fit Treebeard, which is a rather big figure.  The front of the card contains just the bubble with a bit of room on the top for the logo and the hanger hook.  The back of the card has a bio and the instructions for the action feature, but the bottom third of it is worthless text and superflous logos.

I like how they included a map of Middle Earth (I was gonna call it Third Earth, but that seemed wrong somehow) on the front of the card behind the figure.  The very top of the card, both the front and the back has a nice silhouette of Smeagol/Gollum leading Frodo and "Fat One" on a run.


There's a small tree extension for Treebeard, possibly to enable the figure to fit into the bubble.  When I opened it a twig of leaves also fell loose - I have no idea if that's an accessory, a spare bit or something that's supposed to be attached to Treebeard.


Treebeard does appear to be a monolithic hunk of plastic, but he's actually not.  There are articulations on his knees, hips, fingers, elbows, wrists and surprisingly mouth and tongue.  Of course, the latter two can only be activated by his action feature via a lever on his shoulder.


The sculpt is nice - he has the wizened wood look and when I was playing with it I told myself I wish I got a hobbit to sit on him.  Oh well.

6 comments:

  1. He's cool. I don't believe I ever saw him in-store. I did love the map included on the card art. I thought that was a nice touch.

    He does look good with MOTUC. I could use him as "Sky Tree." *shifty eyes* lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. As long as you don't get Lookee to sit on his back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have Loo-Kee. :( This guy would be a good place for him to hide though. He usually hides in trees and bushes. Well...I think I just understood why you said that when I said "bushes." lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Bushes". They are probably plotting their comeback...

    And it's nice to have you "back" or more active around the web. You need to start a Thrawn and Darkspecter thread soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Novelty. I try to creep around, but all the days bleed into one for me most of the time. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm beginning to think that you live way way up north these days. The sun shines for 24 hours a day north of the arctic circle, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...